California State University Fullerton Pollak Library is seeking an energetic librarian who is innovative, technologically adept and service oriented, with a background or experience in Education/Teaching.
The Education Librarian serves as the subject specialist and liaison to the College of Education’s students and faculty, providing instruction, reference, and outreach. A strong understanding of the teaching profession and/or education curriculum (credential process, pedagogical methods, etc.) is expected. The successful candidate will teach specialized library instruction sessions to education classes,most of which will be in-person, but may include online sessions as well. Specialized reference includes in-person and online individual research consultations with Education faculty and students. The position includes collection development duties: selecting education materials and overseeing the library’s state-adopted curriculum materials collection. The Education Librarian also participates in general reference and instruction services (e.g. reference desk hours, general library instruction sessions). Experience in instructional design and online learning is highly desired. Librarians at CSUF have faculty status and are expected to meet promotion and tenure requirements, including scholarly/professional activity and committee service.
- Master’s degree in library and/or information science from an ALA-accredited institution or equivalent institution by the time of appointment
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in Education (or equivalent degree leading to a teaching credential) and/or significant experience in Education (teaching, school leadership, educational advising, etc.)
- Current experience in developing and teaching effective information literacy based library instruction sessions
- Current experience in providing reference services and knowledge of academic databases
- Effective oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability and willingness to work in a team environment and on projects within other units of the library
- Ability to interact effectively in a multicultural environment with co-workers, library users, and the wider campus community
- Availability to work some weeknights and weekends
- Evidence of scholarly/professional activities (or interest/efforts toward such activities)
- Experience in instructional design and online learning
- Knowledge of California state-adopted curriculum materials is also desired
Rank & Salary
The position will be at the rank of Senior Assistant Librarian, tenure-track. Salary range will be from $57,060 to $62,766, commensurate with rank, experience and qualifications. Excellent comprehensive benefits are available and include health/vision/dental plans, optional 10/12 month work year; defined-benefit retirement through the state system, along with optional tax-sheltering opportunities; spouse/domestic partner/dependent fee-waiver as well as access to campus child-care and new affordable housing program. For a detailed description of benefits, go to http://hr.fullerton.edu/documents/benefits/Faculty_Unit_3.pdf
Job Control Number
August 1, 2013
For full consideration, all application materials must be received by June 1, 2013. Applications accepted until recommendations for appointments are made.
Applications will be accepted via e-mail at email@example.com. Please include in your email application 1) a letter of application to Susan Tschabrun, Acting Associate University Librarian, 2) your resume, and 3) names, addresses, and phone numbers of three references.
California State University, Fullerton is one of the largest of the 23 campuses that comprise the California State University system. The campus is located in northern Orange County, convenient to numerous cultural and recreational sites throughout Southern California. As a comprehensive university, CSUF offers baccalaureate degrees in 55 fields of knowledge, graduate (master’s level) work in 48 programs, credential programs for teachers, and a doctoral program in educational leadership (Ed.D). The Pollak Library serves a total of more than 37,000 students as well as approximately 3,000 faculty and staff. The University is committed to the support of learning through instructional technology as well as extensive training and development programs. The University’s Web site is located at: (http://www.fullerton.edu)
The Library’s Web site (http://www.library.fullerton.edu) is a vital component of the Library’s extensive instruction program and serves as a gateway to resources. The Library contains 1.3 million books, government documents, and audiovisual materials; over 50,000 periodicals available electronically or in print; and 200 electronic databases. The Library uses the Innovative Interfaces integrated library system, SFX, and Metalib. The staff includes 20 FTE librarians and 35 FTE paraprofessionals.
The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Cal State Fullerton is an Equal Opportunity/
Title IX/503/504/VEVRA/ADA Employer
Achieving A Climate of Success Through Diversity & Inclusion