The Department of American Studies at California State University, Fullerton invites applications for a tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant Professor to begin Fall 2014. Desirable specializations include American popular, digital, visual, or material culture, with an emphasis on the 20th and/or 21st centuries. The new faculty member will teach undergraduate courses in American Studies as well as upper-division and graduate courses in areas of specialization; advise students; engage in scholarly activities; serve on academic committees and contribute to department and university governance. Positive decisions on tenure and promotion require excellent teaching as well as research, peer-reviewed publications, and participation in the university and the profession.
(1) Ph.D. in American Studies, American social/cultural history, or related fields;
(2) University teaching experience;
(3) Ability to teach Introduction to American Studies, Introduction to American Popular Culture, and American Studies Theories and Methods;
(4) Ability to teach advanced courses dealing with popular, digital, visual, or material culture;
(5) Ability to teach American culture within an historical context;
(6) Evidence of effective teaching and potential for successful research and scholarly publication;
(7) Ability to interact successfully with a diverse student body and to work effectively within a multicultural environment;
(8) Ability to balance excellent teaching with outstanding scholarship and professional service.
Rank and Salary
This is a tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant Professor. Salary is competitive and commensurate with rank, experience, and qualifications. Periodic salary adjustments are enacted by the state legislature. Additional teaching in summer and intersession is often available. An excellent comprehensive benefits package is available, which includes health/vision/dental plans; spouse, domestic partner and/or dependent fee-waiver; access to campus child-care as well as affordable housing program; and a defined-benefit retirement through the state system, along with optional tax-sheltering opportunities. For a detailed description of benefits, go to http://hr.fullerton.edu/documents/benefits/Faculty_Unit_3.pdf
Job Control Number
To apply, please send by mail (e-mail submissions will not be accepted) (1) a letter of interest; (2) a curriculum vitae; (3) three letters of recommendation; and (4) a writing sample to:
Carrie Lane, Recruitment Chair
Department of American Studies
California State University, Fullerton
P.O. Box 6868
Fullerton, CA 92834-6868
Phone: (657) 278- 7359
Fax: (657) 278-5820
To assure full consideration, application materials must be postmarked by September 15, 2013.
The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Cal State Fullerton is an Equal Opportunity/
Title IX/503/504/VEVRA/ADA Employer
Achieving A Climate of Success Through Diversity & Inclusion